We Are Family

We Are Family

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Breastfeeding

So, I have recently read and received some great info about breastfeeding. Did you know that only 2-5% of women actually cannot breast feed? Most women opt not to from the birth of their baby or try until it doesn't work with their family's needs. I also read that babies that are bottle fed have a greater risk of obesity later in life because they don't stop when they are full, they finish their bottle.

I am not writing this post to say which method is right or wrong for each family. I just want to express why I do.

Guys...(and gals) if this kind of stuff grosses you out, stop reading here.

I nursed both of the boys for at least ten months and they had breast milk for a year. With the boys, I nursed them while I was on leave from work and then they got bottles at daycare and I nursed them in the morning, after work, and before bed (as well as every feeding on the weekends). With Brayden, I had several set backs (mastitis, had to use a nipple shield, and Brayden had reflux and a healthy appetite). I also had a significant amount of weight gain. However, I had a great support system-my friends, a coworker,my mom, mother-in-law, husband, and daycare provider. Same situation with nolan except I had less of a weight gain but I was still up about 22 lbs when I got pregnant with Nolan. Nolan started refusing breast milk bottles when I stopped nursing him. We had to supplement him with formula bottles starting at ten months.

I feel like I let the boys down by returning to work. Kalyn was 4 weeks early, but she has been my best baby in regards to nursing (and sleeping, self-soothing, bathing, etc). I am so thankful that I am able to stay home this time and nurse her.

Reasons I chose breast feeding over formula:

I didn't want to spend the money on formula when I was capable of producing milk.
I didn't want to invest in a bunch of bottles and nipples.
I didn't like the idea of putting a processed powder into my baby even if formula has come a long way over the years.
It felt easier to nurse my babies rather than get up make a bottle and then feed the baby.
Since my babies were all born via c-section, it helped me with bonding and feeling important.

I do not care how quickly I lose the weight from my babies (as long as I lose it the right way) As long as I am eating healthy, nursing, and providing nutrition for my baby for the first year.
I do not need to be at a certain weight as long as I am healthy, feel good, and can keep up with my kids and husband.
FYI it takes 40 weeks to put the weight on, it is going to take at least that long to get the weight off.

My plan:(so you can all hold me accountable)
I am going to (and have been) exercising between 9-11am at the YMCA while the kids are in the child care part of the YMCA. They love it, it's relaxing for me, and we are all in great moods when we head home afterwards.

So.... Nursing moms, you are awesome! You are doing great! I am proud of you because it is NOT easy devoting your body to your babies for twelve long months (for each baby)

Non nursing moms, I do not think that you are any less wonderful mommies! I think that you too are doing great and should be proud of the decisions you make for your babies and family too!

1 comment:

  1. Jen!Thanks for the shoutout to nursing mommies :) I nursed Garrett until he hit 13 months, then he was ready to be done. It's a HUGE commitment, but well worth the time and money savings. It does take time to get that weight off, so don't be discouraged. I JUST started weight watchers now that I'm done nursing. Still have about 10 pounds I wanted to lose so its really helping slowly get it off, but I didn't start it until I was done with feeding my munchkin! Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete